December 9 Event to feature local food
and a report to the community
Floyd, Virginia – SustainFloyd, the grassroots nonprofit organization dedicated to a resilient and sustainable local economy, announced that Anthony Flaccavento will provide the keynote speech at its “Dine for a Cause” event at the Floyd Country Store on Sunday, December 9th at 6 p.m. The casual, fun “Souper Supper” will feature fresh “signature soups” provided by local restaurants as well as breads, local wines, apple cider, coffee and dessert.
“Anthony brings a deep understanding of the challenges and needs of communities in southwest Virginia as he’s been addressing them head-on in real ways for decades,” relates Mike Burton, Director of SustainFloyd. “No one is better suited to help us celebrate our accomplishments and inspire us as we move forward. We are very proud and excited that Anthony accepted our invitation to address our community and discuss our work.”
Mr. Flaccavento is a family farmer, community leader and small business owner. He has worked on community environmental and economic development in central Appalachia for the past 25 years. In 1995, he founded Appalachian Sustainable Development, which has since become a national leader in rural community economic development.
He has also started or helped start a number of farming, business and community programs over the past 20 years, including:
- A homeownership program for low-income residents that has now built nearly 200 homes in the district
- Appalachian Harvest, which has helped more than 60 farmers (including many former tobacco farmers) to increase profits and sell to supermarkets
- The Abingdon Farmers Market, one of the strongest in the state, and several other farmers markets around the district
- A local merchants association
- Healthy Families, Family Farms, which provides local organic produce to families in need while supporting local farmers
- A local green building coalition that helps promote businesses in energy-efficient building, solar and wind energy and geothermal energy.
In 2009, Mr. Flaccavento founded SCALE, a consulting firm dedicated to developing and supporting sustainable regional economies and food systems. SCALE works with farmers, small businesses, economic development agencies and community leaders in Appalachia and other communities.
Everyone is invited to Dine for a Cause and encouraged to pledge support for SustainFloyd. The dinner will cost $15 ($10 for SF Members). All proceeds will go to aid SustainFloyd’s mission. A combination dinner and SustainFloyd membership can be purchased for $40. Premium tables for four (including dinner) are available for $150. Tickets are available at the SustainFloyd office or at the door.
What: SustainFloyd’s “Dine for a Cause” Souper Supper and report to the community
When: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 6 p.m.
Who: Anthony Flaccavento will deliver the keynote speech
Where: Floyd Country Store, 206 South Locust Street, Floyd, VA
How: Tickets available at the SF office (203 S. Locusts St, Suite H or at door: $15/dinner ($10 for SF Members); $40 dinner/membership combo; $150 premium table and dinner for four
For more information: