With the Holiday season upon us, here are a few things that you can do to be more eco- friendly this Holiday season.
1. Buy locally-made gifts. Give back to the Floyd community by stocking up on gifts purchased at local businesses around town. You can also now shop from many of your favorite local stores at ShopfloydVA.com.
2. Find a creative way to wrap your gifts. Use recycled paper, reusable fabric scraps and bows, or the comic section of the newspaper to wrap your gifts.
3. Share Holiday Cards Online. Or make your own cards from recycled materials.
4. Donate items like gently worn clothing, electronics, and household items you no longer want or use to a local Floyd Organization. Many items can be donated to Angels in the Attic, and clothing can be donated to several organizations in the community.
5. Buy Locally grown food directly from local Farms, or farmers markets, it travels fewer miles and creates fewer carbon emissions.
6. Use eco-friendly shopping bags. These are also a great gift that you can purchase from Sustain Floyd at the Information desk at the Floyd Farmers Market Winter Market.
7. Defrost your freezer this winter. It will work more efficiently and create more space to store leftover food, so that it doesn’t go to waste.
8. Gift experiences that you can enjoy together. Like a hike along the Blue Ridge Parkway or Buffalo Mountain.
9. Recycle your holiday gift packaging. Many items end up in the landfill that could be recycled. Take the time to recycle these items like cardboard, plastic, glass, paper, and cans, at one of the many recycling locations in Floyd county.
10. Volunteer your time or donate to a local nonprofit organization.