Bring your #5 plastic & plastic film
Floyd County is working hard to provide recycling options to our community and we have great resources in the recycling containers at the green box sites. Please use those for the commonly recycled items. It is important to clean and sort your recycling so that it can be accepted by the county’s recycling avenues. We are collecting a few additional items, especially those that can be reused or put directly back into the manufacturing loop.
#5 Plastic ex. yogurt pots, Medicine bottles with caps–labels removed, Plastic Film ex. single use shopping and produce bags, ziplocks (not freezer bags), case overwraps, plastic shipping bags such as ones used by Amazon, bubble wrap and more. Plastic film is the thin plastic sheet 10mm or less in thickness. Printer ink cartridges, Batteries, Razors, blades and packaging-all brands Burt’s Bees; Tom’s of Maine; Weleda—all packaging Glass ‘mason’ jars, Sneakers in wearable condition.
On some months we also accept Electronic Waste, Used Books–please check whether we are collecting those items on the current month before you bring them. Please see guidelines for Electronic Waste below.
Thank you for sorting your items and making sure that everything is clean and dry. We cannot take anything that has food waste traces.
Why is recycling e-waste important?
Electronic waste that is not properly disposed of can lead to air and soil pollution as well as water contamination. Exposure to these pollutants can lead to health concerns such as:
- Impaired thyroid function
- Impacts on the immune system
- Risk of cancer
- Negative birth outcomes
- Greater susceptibility to autoimmune diseases
- Impaired neurodevelopment
What items cannot be accepted?
- Televisions (any type)
- Cathode ray tubes televisions or monitors
- Household appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, crockpots, etc.).
What items can be accepted?
- Computer towers
- Computer server
- Hard drives
- iPads and other tablet devices
- Smartphones and smartphone batteries
- AC adapters/wall plugs
- Miscellaneous electronic wire
- LCD computer displays (monitors)
- Lithium batteries
- Power cables
- Older cell phones (non-smart phones)
- USBs/flash drives
- Landline phones
- DVD players
- VHS players
- Streaming type devices – Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Roku Streaming Stick, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.
- Video game consoles
- Remote controllers for TV or video games
- Apple watches (or other smart watches)
- Car radios/stereos
- Calculators (both basic calculators and the graphing ones)