- Grains grown using non-GMO and Landrace Seedstock, utilizing no commercial fertilizer or pesticides.
- Began this venture in agreement with local Distiller to provide bulk cornmeal for their usage. Upon operation of mill in March 2018, we began construction of a vibratory sifter to allow us to screen products for bakery use.
- I have been a “farmer” since the 1980’s with an extensive background in forages, and experience raising European Fleckvieh (Simmental) cattle.
- I have wanted to be involved in the Local Food Movement, but health and advancing age kept me from working in row crop vegetables.
- After seeing a number of films about our commercial food system, I decided to raise grains and to be independent of the slavery of chemicals.
- The most compelling factor was to learn that not only is the majority of corn in the food system GMO, but even non-GMO crops like wheat, oats and barley are “desiccated” by aerial herbicides to dry the standing crop in order to time the mechanized harvest.
- Every bite of bread that we take of products made from commercial grains are either genetically modified or contain contamination of Glyphosphate. All commercial grains are heavily refined, and every revenue stream in the plant is optimized to the point we are eating food products at the end of this economic chain that have the food value of cardboard, laden with chemical contaminants.
- I chose to do this (grow and mill) to create something that would be sustainable for myself, my family and the entire community. Mills and mill infrastructure began to vanish from the countryside in the 1970’s with the onset of factory grain farming and milling. Farmers find it difficult to supply the community with flours and meals unless there is a local milling operation, which Floyd now has.
Upon certification by VDACS we will begin offering of wholesome grains products such as flours, meals and grits grown by myself or other approved growers using Best Practices (non GMO, No pesticides or chemical fertilizers).
Our goal is to be Certified Organic by end of calendar year 2018.
Packaging offered in bulk (25#) and 1-5 # Packages. Custom Packaging and delivery services are offered as well.