SustainFloyd is looking for a lead project developer to handle the next phase of work on a proposed food processing facility in Floyd County.
This project seeks to create a whole new market for regional specialty crops by successfully moving the development of a local food processing facility in Southwest Virginia through pre-construction up to and including the hiring of an architect and prime contractor.
The facility will ultimately source local specialty crops to create a wide range of value-added, regionally branded products created by providing three services: 1) providing signature branded processed foods to area institutions and retailers with a defined local label or labels; 2) providing shared-use access of production space, storage, and technical assistance for small scale food entrepreneurs located in the region, and; 3) providing contract manufacturing under private labels for existing value adding food businesses in Virginia.
With the support of SustainFloyd, the lead project developer will be expected to:
• Work with regional stakeholders, New Venture Advisors and Project Steering Committee to finalize business plan and achieve consensus on project development;
• Identify and negotiate an agreement for a viable lot for the facility;
• Work closely with relevant regulatory agencies during facility development and equipment acquisition, including the local health department, VDACS food inspectors, and the US Food & Drug Administration;
• Promote the project’s concept and potential to possible users and the general public in the region;
• Coordinate outreach to and communication with specialty crop growers and commercial users of the facility;
• Work as the “owner’s representative” and negotiate services with architects, general contractors, and specialized construction personnel before facility construction;
• Negotiate purchase and installation of key equipment;
• Lead a search for the permanent facility manager/executive director and identify strong candidates for the job;
• Develop a legal management structure for the facility.
The deadline for proposals is Jan. 31. Work should begin in March.
Are you interested? Contact SustainFloyd Director Mike Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and a copy of the Request for Proposals.