Job Description: Farmers Market Manager
Application deadline: February 15, 2018
SustainFloyd Foundation seeks to enter into a contract for services with a new Manager for its Farmers Market. The services include managing all aspects of the Floyd Farmers Market; being an advocate for the market and for its host the SustainFloyd Foundation, such that the Floyd Farmers Market is a source of pride for the vendors, the customers, sponsors, and the community at large. Toward this; the Market Manager will be hired by, and work closely with, the SFF Farmers Market Committee. The committee will provide direction, support and guidance to the Market Manager who will attend committee meetings 5-6 times a year.
The Floyd Farmers Market is a seasonal project with the most demanding work required from May through November. However, there is significant off-season work: preparing for the new season and wrapping-up the end of the season, fundraising, promotion, coordinating volunteers, convening meetings with vendors, maintaining social media, etc.
- Recruit and jury new vendors for the Saturday Market.
- Hold vendor meetings as necessary.
- Monitor compliance with relevant regulations and codes and permits.
- Be an advocate for the vendors; make stall assignments, coordinate vendor activities, enforce market rules, be a problem solver.
- Help create an annual budget, submit weekly financial forms, make deposits and follow the SFF accounting system currently in place.
- Work closely with the SFF bookkeeper to maintain accurate records and data.
- Manage the SNAP/EBT program at the market.
- Manage special events, workshops and entertainment related to the Market.
- Take on special projects as agreed on with the SFF committee.
- Fundraising: Work with the SFF FM Committee to maintain existing sponsors and develop new ones.
- It is a plus if the manager is entrepreneurial-minded with regards to identifying and pursuing grant and funding opportunities for market operations and growth, in cooperation with the FM committee.
- Direct activities on Market-day. Be the first person to arrive and set up the market, and the last to leave, leaving it cleaned up with equipment and tables put away.
- Handle emergencies and complaints.
- Serve as the quality control person for products, as well as for the market’s general appearance and cleanliness.
- Coordinate SNAP/EBT program with customers, vendors and volunteers.
- Maintain the information booth with guest book, FM merchandise, and SNAP and credit card market tokens.
- Keep a market log.
Communication, Promotion and Networking Tasks
- Write content and send/post weekly market updates via Farmers market email newsletter, Farmers Market social media pages, Farmers Market website.
- Write Floyd Press releases with Farmers Market updates.
- Represent the market in the Floyd community and to the media.
- Build positive relations with customers and partners.
- Maintain communications with town and county officials, health inspectors and others connected with the market.
- Maintain an active social media presence.
- Create an annual calendar of events.
- Develop new promotional ideas.
Much of this work is currently in place but the New Market Manager is being hired to both maintain and enhance the Market. So this position may also involve new initiatives.
To apply for this position, please send in a resume via email or bring a copy to our office:
203 S. Locust Street, Suite H
Floyd, VA 24091
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9A-1P