In 2022 SustainFloyd realized that the best way to reduce plastic waste is by avoiding single use plastics like shopping bags, take-away food containers and product packaging. With so much uncertainty about what happens to plastic waste that we try to recycle it is important that we use as little plastic as practical. So we decided to do our part by making refillable cleaning and personal care products available at our new Refill Station.
The Refill Station is currently housed in the ‘red shed’ at the Floyd Farmers Market Pavilion. It is open when the Farmers Market is open–on Saturday morning and Thursday evening during the summer market and on Saturday mornings only during the winter market.
We choose products free of toxic ingredients from companies who offer low waste delivery solutions, such as accepting empty carboys of product for refilling, or using 5 gallon buckets which can easily be repurposed.
The system is simple: come with a container to fill. Weigh it so that the weight of the container is not included with the product weight, fill the container with as much product as you want and reweigh. The price is determined from the price per pound of the product. If you don’t have a container you can take one from our collection.
We currently stock the following refill products
- Dish washing liquid-scented and unscented options
- Machine dish washing detergent-unscented
- Laundry detergent-scented and unscented options
- All purpose cleaner-unscented
- Floor cleaner-citrus
- Castile soap-scented and unscented
- Hand & body wash-scented and unscented options
- Shampoo–scented and unscented options
- Lotion-scented and unscented options
We also have a range of low waste products such as reusable bamboo kitchen towels, toothbrushes and razors of recycled plastic, reusable glass or aluminum containers, travel mugs, plastic free cotton buds, bar shampoo and dishwashing soaps, and more.
Our products are priced to be affordable. We keep our mark-up low because we believe that these products are important and we want them to be accessible. Any profit we make at the store goes directly to supporting the Floyd Farmers Market and other projects of Sustain Floyd Foundation.
Other products that we stock include:
- Cleaning brushes and cloths
- Laundry soap and stain removers
- Bar shampoos and soaps
- Dryer balls
- Refillable bottles
- Pump and spray lids for mason jars
- Razors, blades and bar shaving soap
- Plastic bag drying racks
- Shopping bags
- Stainless steel drinking straws
- Rechargeable batteries and rechargers
- and more . . . . . .